Friday, April 24, 2009

Are Some Movies Sending a Wrong Message?

Last week I discussed a phenomena that really dumbfounds me, why would somebody fight and then post it on YouTube? Well, as I was watching TV this week I saw an advertisement for a movie that promotes and glamorizes unsanctioned, "underground", street fighting. The name of the movie is creatively called Fighting. One of the messages sent in this trailer is that really stuck out to me was "some dreams are worth fighting for". In my opinion this movie is sending a message that promotes violence and that through violence you can get "rich" or it makes your dream come true. There are other ways, where one doesn't have to go about knocking someone out to get what they want. I do realize that this movie is a fictional movie and is made for entertainment, but is it really sending a positive message? Another very popular movie, that came out in the summer of last year was Never Back Down . This movie ends a similar message; only this time he had to fight a "bully" from school. Once again this movie is made for sheer entertainment, but does it reflect a growing trend in our teenage population….that fighting is “cool”? These movies do send some very powerful messages of standing up for what one believes in and sticking to one’s beliefs, but is violence the only way that these messages across? Is it so popular that movie makers have picked up on this idea that “underground fighting” is a way to snag teenage and young adult viewers? I realize many people can rationalize and pick up that these are just movies, but what about those who take them for what it is and don’t separate the underlying messages? I believe that there is a time and a place to fight, don’t get me wrong, defending oneself is perfectly legitimate, but it is a dangerous thing to be promoting something like this in Hollywood. People could really get hurt by imitating the actions that take place in these movies geared towards our generation it is all our responsibility as to how we take this message in.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I wonder which writer came up with the title of "Fighting". He should get an Oscar for most creative title (sarcasm alert).
    I honestly have to say that I don't really care for movies like this. I can sit through them, but it's the same plot in every one. A kid moves to New York (Why's it always New York?). Some old, wise, Mr. Miyagi-like trainer sees the kid getting into a fight and sees the potential within (If it were me, I'd be like "Oh, stupid kids" not "Oh, he'd make a good student. I must train him immediately even though I know nothing about him".) They train, there's usually some beautiful girl thrown into the mix somewhere, then they finally win despite the odds stacked against them.

    I also noticed that these movies seem to glorify and promote violence. Maybe that's one of the reasons I don't like them as much as other movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha it makes me laugh what entertains people these days. I am one who stays away from movies with violence, fighting, shooting, guns, killing, and anger. I guess you could say that I like to keep the angry hate conflict for real life and out of the flicks!
    But if you think about it, a lot of movies these days are centered around being the biggest and the strongest...hense the reason kids are posting there fights on youtube. This type of movie seems silly and annoying to me but its what sells these days!!
    **Karate Kid is the only exception!**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach, I think in a sense Hollywood may be sending a wrong message about all the fighting movies. Although there are a lot of violent movies around today, fighting and making money for it seems to be a growing phenomenon. I'm not saying that I won't go out and watch these movies for that reason, because I do. I really enjoyed Never Back Down, and would like to see Fighting (mainly because it has Channing Tatum in it:), but that is besides the point!) but when I watch these movies, I don't go out afterwards and have the urge to fight....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a movie called The Fight Club that is all about fighting pretty much for no reason other than fighting. Movies like these I think play a role in kids putting their fighting videos on YouTube. Since most movies do feature fighting and violence of some sort, that might be all the kids know how to do. But on the other hand, my favorite kind of movies are the ones with shooting and conflict. I don't like them because I like to fight; I just like them because they're really good. But a lot of the time those movies are somehow saying violence is bad by the number of deaths occuring in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, lets all just settle down. First of all hollywood is not stupid they know what sells, sex and violence. And after the fact that fight club was a hit and Never Back Down was a huge hit, why not make another movie about fighting. Now im not saying fighting is a godo thing, but if you have ever watched Never Back Down its all about fighting for what you believe in, and how there is a time to fight and a time to walk away. I can only hope that this new movie teaching us the same type of life leason as all these other great fighting movies have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will agree that the people who make movies know what sells, and sex and violence seems to be them. As for sending the wrong message, it depends on how the person takes it. Its always going to be controversial, but UFC and boxing are HUGE, Was Rocky sending the wrong message? How about the 4? some sequals? You have to take in the fact that generations are different, and our generation is desensitized, and will take this as a norm. Obviously some people are different, and dont take movies the right way (school shootings) but these cannot be a reason to ban movies like fighting from hitting the streets. I think they send a positive message as well, follow your dreams, become a pro-fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, this movie looks interesting but it does seem to send a message of fighting is a good way to get rich or popular. Since I have not yet seen the movie Fighting, I do not know for sure what the message is that they are sending but by the sound of the title it does not seem like a good message. Now Never Back Down is a great movie in my opinion. It has some meaning to it saying that if there is no good purpose in fighting, then it is not a good thing. Also, it shows that fighting leads to getting hurt and getting in trouble.

    ReplyDelete