Sunday, March 29, 2009

Flood Fighters: A Different Breed of Hero

For several weeks, I have discussed many of the different aspects of our favorite fictional defenders. This week, because of the massive response of volunteers, I am going to pay homage to these very real, average, everyday people that have sacrificed their time and energy to protect human lives and property. North Dakota and Minnesota have been in the headlines recently, due to the unprecedented levels of the Red River. At one time this river was expected to crest at up to 43 feet and up to this point, thankfully, it has not. This situation spelt disaster, but these individuals stared disaster in the face and were not going to go down without a fight. There has been such a massive response from the general public that many governmental figures, including President Obama, have noted that "we're all in this together" pointing out that "individuals can make the difference." In a sense these volunteers have embodied everything that our fictional heroes stand for, which is a very heart -warming thing to see. I have seen a similar efforts first hand. The Sheyenne River that runs through Valley City threatened to flood much of the town. City officials sent out the call for volunteers and our school sent out an email requesting 200 volunteers. As I arrived, I was stunned; I could have sworn the whole student body was there. It was an awesome sight to see. People that wouldn't usually work together standing side by side were working together vigorously for a common cause. I put in 9 hours myself, but I have heard people tell me they have volunteered 14 plus hours. My hat goes off to all that have volunteered their time whether it was sandbagging or some other task. These issues, as of yet, have not been resolved; the outcomes, whatever they may be, would have been much different without the genuine caring and compassion of these volunteers. They may not hold the title of superheroes, but they are definitely heroes in the eyes of many. They may never have a blockbuster movie named after them, but I feel that I am speaking for many when I say, THANK YOU!

6 comments:

  1. GREAT post this week! Those who have helped the North Dakota communities are heros...real life heros! Giving back to the communities and saving them when they give so much to us just makes a person feel so good. It makes them feel as if they've made a difference and helped to save and protect something precious and indeed they have. I give thanks and credit to everyone who's aided anywhere in the states of North Dakota and Western Minnesota. Way to go everyone....so thankful and proud to be your neighbor and fellow citizen! I know I had fun pitching in and giving my time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post! I never really thought of us, more common people, as heroes. I tend to think of it as doing my civil responsibility. I put in about 9-10 hours, but your right that those who put in more deserve a little applause! I know that I was pretty sore after my volunteering, but it kind of makes up for it just knowing that you are doing something that is hopefully going to make a little bit of difference for this community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog, Zach! I've recently learned there are a lot of heroes around here. When I went to go fill sandbags I just felt it necessary to do. I worked til 10 when they shut down for the night. There were still a lot of people there til the end who likely had to work quite early in the morning, yet they were still doing their part. I live right next to the river and there's a lot of hardworking citizens outside building dikes constantly here. They've put in a lot of work lately! I'm thankful for everyone who's helped out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog Zach! I really enjoyed reading it. I have never thought of everyone that helped out as hereos. I think it is amazing seeing all the people that help with the flood. We all need to work together because the way I see it is that if my house was to get flooded I would want people to help me out so that is why I went to go help out! It was an amazing feeling knowing that I could make a difference in the community as well as people lives. This is what North Dakota is all about! I wonder if other states would do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog! It is very interesting to think of all the average people I saw while I was sandbagging as heroes, but it is also very true. When I walked into the winter show for the first time and I saw over 100 people sandbagging it almost brought a tear to my eye to know that people care enough to sacrifice their time to help others. While working I noticed people from other states like florida and what not were not as willing to work as the north and south dakotans. It makes me proud that I grew in a place with people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of wish there was a flood-fighting superhero- FLOOD MAN- that would suck up the water and fly over to China to spit it where they are having dry spells, but, I will take the next best thing. If one state had to be flooded I would probably pick North Dakota because of it's hard working people. There is a work ethic here that is not seen in many other states. If a flood wants to take us down we aren't going down without a fight. Shine the FLOOD MAN signal into the night sky, but, until then, let's go to the Winter Show building and fill sand bags.

    ReplyDelete